West Hartford History
This village is the most rural of the five villages of Hartford. Situated on the White River, it offers a variety of recreational water sports including white water kayaking, canoeing and tubing. There are great spots for swimming and fishing as well. Although there has been some residential development, the rural character of the village remains as evidence by its expansive open fields, beautiful long views of the White River Valley and surrounding hills.
Although much of the village was wiped out in the 1927 flood, a classic country store serves up breakfast and lunch while providing grocery necessities. The town's public library is located in this village. The original building was destroyed by the flood and rebuilt from fund donated by the City of Hartford, Connecticut.
A welcome addition to the village center is the new Patriot's Bridge. Dedicated to all Hartford service men and women; a lovely 'pocket park' is sited at the northern entrance to the bridge in honor of three servicemen from Hartford who died while serving in Iraq.